Do you need a new garage door and would like to save money by buying a used door? Of course, the biggest benefit is the attractive price, but if you ignore the price, will you have more problems than benefits to buying a used garage door? If you are not an experienced handyman, we strongly advise against making this choice, and for many reasons!
You should know that garage door manufacturers (such as Garage) can sell a new garage door for less than $ 1,000. This door will be the right size, in perfect working condition while being guaranteed! Here are some things to consider that will help you make the best decision. Probably, it is seen that old barrage door have spring issues, especially garage door torsion springs in USA. So you need to be careful before buying an old garage door.
Important things to know before buying
- Make sure the size of the used garage door that you want to buy is the same as the size of your garage opening.
- The clearance above the garage door must be sufficient for you to include an electric door opener. (51 mm / 2 additional inches).
- You also need to have adequate space (in depth) to include the horizontal rails and install an opener, if any.
- Be prepared to have the opening hardware changed if clearance spaces are not the same.
If you buy a used garage door
- Have it installed by a professional. A garage door is very heavy while the opening / closing mechanism is complex and energized.
- Watch out for doors that have more than 10 years of wear. The mechanism could be rusty and the casters could slide into the rails instead of rolling.
- It is possible to repaint a damaged wooden door, but it is impossible to repair imperfections on a metal door (unless you are a car body specialist).
- It will surely change some parts: screw and rusty hinges, casters too worn or damaged weather-stripping.
- If the door has many years of use behind it, the spring system may need to be replaced. This system has a lifespan of about 5 to 7 years (10,000 cycles of operation).
- Adding windows to your used door is not recommended, as it will change the weight of the door and affect the proper functioning of the spring system. Indeed, it is calibrated to the weight (with a variant 5% of the total weight of the door). Too much weight (or less weight) would mean changing the system.
Is it really worth it?
Unless you are a handyman with a lot of experience, buying a used garage door is a risk. The operation will not be guaranteed, the door may be too small or too big a few centimeters, while a new door will be installed, guaranteed and perfect appearance.
Consult us if you are hesitant to choose between buying a used or new garage door. We are specialized in garage doors and automatic door openers (of all brands). If you decide to purchase a new garage door, request an online quote for prices and options.